Unlock your creative potential! Discover how to easily turn any Sun, Moon and Milky Way scene you imagine into a real picture… and start shooting truly legendary photos every time you pick up the camera!
Whether your passion is to capture beautiful landscapes, immortalize the infinite night sky, surprise the bride and the groom in their happiest day... or to travel the world, PhotoPills will make you love exploring new artistic possibilities to tell visual stories in a way it wasn’t possible before.
* All in one app
PhotoPills is your iPhone and iPad personal assistant in all photographic matters. It provides tasty remedies to answer most of the questions when planning and shooting your creative ideas:
- The First 2D Map-Centric Planner: Sun, Moon, Milky Way
- Sun, Moon Alignments Fast Finder
- 3D Augmented Reality: Sun, Moon, Milky Way, Celestial Equator, Polaris, DoF, FoV
- Photo Plans Manager
- Location Scouting Tool
- Key information: Sunrise/set, Twilights, Golden Hour, Blue Hour, Moonrise/set, Supermoon dates, Moon Calendar
- Calculators: Long Exposure, Timelapse, Spot Stars, Star Trails, Hyperfocal Table, DoF, FoV
- Widgets: Sun, Moon, Milky Way
- PhotoPills Awards… and much more!
* Endorsed by Masters
“PhotoPills is an invaluable tool which I use every time I plan a shoot.” – Mark Gee, Astronomy Photographer of the Year.
“A tool every photographer should have.” – Kevin Raber, Luminous-landscape.com.
“It pays off! Using such a tool ensures that we are repeatedly capable of quickly planning powerful shots; leaving maximum opportunity for more creative ruminations.” – José B. Ruiz, Innovation Award, Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
* How it works
Have you ever walked around a place and thought: "What a pity the Moon isn't EXACTLY right there... I would have captured a great photo!"? What about the Sun? And the Milky Way? Well, now you can let your imagination fly and calculate when this specific magic moment happens in just a few seconds:
- IMAGINE: the Milky Way arching over a powerful landscape, a giant full Moon appearing from behind a nearby hill or a sunset between two rocks on a magic beach... The only limit is your imagination!
- PLAN: easily calculate the exact date and time the scene you’ve imagined happens. Work smarter, not harder!
- SHOOT: just get out there, immerse yourself in the great outdoors, and enjoy living and capturing unique moments.
* Become a Legend
Because we know the huge amount of time, energy and love you put in your photos. We want to HONOR them, SHOW them to the World, and REWARD you with up to $6,600 in cash prizes. It's easy and FREE! Just submit your creative photos from PhotoPills and join the Legacy!
* Never waste an unmissable scene again
Create a To-Do list of planned photos and get to the location on time.
* Get it right
Adjust your frame for the best composition before you shoot. Use the 3D Augmented Reality Views to see whether Sun, Moon and Milky Way will be at the desired position when pressing the shutter.
* Explore, discover great places and create your own database of locations
If you come across a location you’d like to remember, save it as a Point of Interest.
* Enjoy all daily information in just one swipe with the Widgets
Just swipe down from the top of the screen to get all the Sun, Moon and Milky Way events for your current location and date, in addition to your upcoming photo plans.
* Get more than an app
Our goal is not only to help you plan your shots, but also to help you nail them. Whenever you need help, take a look at our How-To articles and videos, join our free online courses or just contact us!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take PhotoPills – you stay in Wonderland and we show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember: all we’re offering are Legendary Photos and Goosebumps in your skin, nothing more.”
The applications PhotoPills was published
in the category Photo & Video on 2013-03-21 and
was developed by PhotoPills S.L..
The file size is 61.08 MB.
The current version is 2.10.2 and works well on
9.3 and high ios versions.
- Bug fixes
We've improved the Planner:
- Updated the 2nd top panel of the Planner. Now it also shows the apparent height of the Sun, Moon, Milky Way arch or Galactic Center above the Black Pin terrain. Do you want to plan a Moon shot over a 20m bulding? Place the Black Pin on the building and move the time and the Red Pin so when the Moon is aligned with the Black Pin, this 2nd top panel says the moon is at 20m. This panel also shows the size (in meters or feet) that the Moon or Sun will have in the Black Pin position. Ah! and we take into account the curvature of the Earth to calculate the apparent height :)
- New Sun/Moon Planner map calculator. Easily calculate the shooting distance for a specific Sun/Moon size compared to a subject. The Planner will draw a circumference around the Black Pin showing the distance you have to place the Red Pin to get the size of the Sun/Moon you want. You can enable this tool from the Map Settings button, located on the map, next to the (+) button.
- Added an option to manually set the altitude for the Red and Black Pins. In the Planner, tap More > Altitudes to manually set the altitudes.
- When you do a long press on the center of the time bar, now it spans 15 minutes instead of 1 hour. This way you can change the time more slowly to better align the Sun, the Moon or the Milky Way.
- Added the option to use real Sun and Moon azimuth lines on the map, taking into account Earth curvature (enabled by default). Now PhotoPills will be more accurate for really long distance shots. You can switch this option off/on from the Sun/Moon layers you'll find in the Map settings button, on the map, next to the (+) button.
- Latitude and Longitude coordinates now show 6 decimal places instead of 4.
- In the Find > Sun or Find > Moon tools, now the apparent height shown in the Elevation tab (Numeric bottom option) is referred to the Yellow/Blue Pin terrain instead of Red Pin terrain. This way you don't have to do any mental calculation when planning the Sun/Moon at certain height above the ground level of your subject.
- New cameras: Canon EOS RP; Film camera 24x65 XPan, Medium Format 5x12, 6x10, 6x12, 6x17, 6x24, 6x7, 6x8; Fujifilm FinePix XP140, X-T30; GoPro HERO7; Leica D-Lux 7, M10-D, Q-P, Q2; Nikon Coolpix A1000, Coolpix B600, Coolpix L830, Coolpix P600; Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II, Lumix DC-S1, Lumix DC-S1R, Lumix DC-ZS80 (DC-TZ95); Ricoh G900, WG-6; Sony a6400; Xiaomi YI 4K.
- Bug fixes
Please, If you find a bug (or have a suggestion), send us an email to info[email protected] and we'll fix it as soon as possible :)
Hands done the best app for the money. If your into planning your shoot you need this app . Don’t leave home with out it .
Work good for me ,thank You
For an outdoor Photograhper being armed with knowledge is as important as remembering to pack your camera. Knowing EXACTLY when and when a full moon will rise, the sun will set, or the galactic core of the Milky Way will be visible will allow you to plan and capture incredible images. There are so many great tools and features built into PhotoPills that it has become absolutely essential for everything I shoot. Five stars are just not enough for this incredible App. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I recommend this app to the photographer that’s just starting out to the seasoned professional. Guessing for the best time frame to take shots is a thing of the past with this app. Get to know this app well and it will become your best friend.
This app is by far the best tools to plan and photograph stunning views of the sky in particular relation to a monument, natural wonder or landscape. It’s intuitive and easy to use. The support and tutorials are fantastic (Both in English and Spanish). There is so much this app can do and it is constantly updated with new very useful features. Can’t recommend it enough.
There is so much you can do with this app. I have only started delving into it, but already, it’s very impressive. If you like night shooting, this is a must have!
Many features that I do not need because I do not have a digital SLR. The Sun AR was easy to use but many other features were too hard to use, for example setting current location and time zone in Planner. I should not need to view a tutorial to understand how to use every feature.
Love the app! So much to learn but has ton of information.
Very nicely designed software for your night photography that will assist various ways to explore stars. Intuitive interface and together with lots of helpful minor apps, this will take your interest in the night sky to your another level. Join the club and happy photopilling.
Have been using the PhotoPills app for a few months now, still learning new things. A great tool for planning out where and when to be for those special photos you just can’t get otherwise. Always seem to be improvements and new functionality being added. You will not be disappointed.
So I can get calculators for star trails, Milky Way photography, hyper focal distance, dof/v tables all over the net. Having them in an app is cool but...... What I spent $15 aud for was the planner functionality. Which is great until you lock your phone. Unlock it and everything you’ve entered disappears and the app shows you’re in Majorca right now. I’m very disappointed after hearing so many good things about the app.
Quite simply, in my opinion, this app is the best value app I've ever used, irrespective of the category. No doubt someone will find a way to find fault, but in my experience this app is comprehensive, stable, completely relevant & entirely focused on customer needs & satisfaction - not on making more $$$ for the developer. The tutorials alone have taught me more about photography than everything I've read in the past 12 months. The developer even responded, literally within hours, over the Christmas holiday period, to an email I sent asking about how to use one aspect of the app. How refreshing.
I decided to change my old review as I found the “night ar” mode and is what I wanted the app for. Has some great features.
Just such a fantastic all in one app for planning photography. Thanks for releasing this guys and keep up the great work
I’m not a Astrophotographer by any stretch , but this app makes it easy to understand the night sky. The developers also email advice regularly to help you use the app more efficiently ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️🌕 five stars and a moon thrown in for the rating
I love this app is the best for planning shooting Milky Way especially with argument reality’s!help you see all the moon phases the visibility the altitude.!!you know excatly where and when the sun set and where rise!.help you with time lapse long exposure!!.it s the best apps for photographers on the run looking for adventure and new nice shot!!
If you want to take your night sky photography to a level that will amaze people... this is the App.
This software is second to none for photography, from a mature to the professional alike. These guys are constantly making a fantastic software better and they have not let the software down!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!
This is hands down the most useful app for both beginner photographers and the pros. You can plan any trip for shooting the sunset, sunrise, moon, stars, Milky Way and more with accurate representations of where everything will be and has been on every day at every minute from January 1st in the year 0001 up until December 31st in the year 10000. It shows you how large an object can be at any distance to fit into your frame with any focal length on your specific camera. All of this and so much more on this outstanding app. I would even pay over $100 for this app.
It's an all in 1 app. Everything you will need to plan a shoot!
I've planned 10 shots with this app and had nothing but success.
Excelente app, muy completa, muy intuitiva. Me encontré con muchas más opciones y ayudas de las que esperaba. Si eres fotógrafo experto o aficionado está app es imprescindible, es de mucha ayuda.
Night or day, this will tell you where the sun pr moon will be almost exactly so that you can research a place that you wanted to photograph, and get the sunset or the moon in the picture. There's the VR piece that helps you find exactly where the Milky Way is going to show up at night and exactly what time it will be, with so many time saving features you're going to delete the other apps that this will cover and do 10 more that you couldn't do without. If you're serious about your star photography in any aspect you will not waste your money here. I guarantee that. Photopills if you're listening there is one thing I recommend you put in- the Apple Watch functionality! How awesome would it be to get notifications on your wrist and to get the research data easily on your wrist? This will help everyone! Thank you!
Nothing to say but "OUTSTANDING". A must for any photographer planning their shots. Plan days, months, even years ahead and be confident of the result!
From Milky Way to sunrise/set to star trails and more, if your photos involve celestial bodies there is no better app I've found.
Takes a bit to learn all the features this app offers, in fact so far I've used it only for milky way and moon rises. Each time I have to review the features to get it right. So best to do planning in advance. The "AR" live view can really help. Lots to learn. wish list: video tutorials to go FULL screen on an iPhone - right now they are tiny and don't expand?
The best planner I've used. Been a photopiller for over two Milky Way seasons and this tool has paid itself many times over. I use it for planning almost every shoot, doing the hard math for calculating exposures, star trails and more. The widgets make it easy to check today's light schedule and you can plan for locations across the globe months in advance. If you're serious about filming the night sky then you should be a photopiller too!
I've used the augmented reality for stuff on the fly, but am just now learning how to use the planning tools, which seem fantastic. I would love, however, to have a version on my MacBook Pro that would enable me to plan trips from home all that much faster and not have to strain my eyes for a couple of hours looking at the small screen.