Improve your sight reading with immediate feedback of timing accuracy. Carefully graduated levels from simple to professional allow you to start at your best level and improve at your own pace, more rapidly than on your own instrument. Practice anytime and anywhere. Many advanced features.
- Common and rarer rhythms from 2 to 9 beats per bar (2/2, 4/2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8).
- More than 200 fixed exercises (100 (longer ones) on iPad).
- Thousands of random exercises.
- Levels for absolute beginners as well as professionals.
- More difficult exercises include rests, ties, syncopations, duplets, triplets, quadruplets.
- Option to add swing to every quarter note meter exercise.
- Different degrees of swing: light, medium and hard.
- Automatic count-off with one or two bars.
- Longer (random) exercises in landscape orientation.
PRACTICE & TEST MODE
- Practice mode: listen or tap along while the rhythm is played.
- Test mode: you hear the metronome and must read and tap the rhythm.
- Accuracy is instantly displayed visually (color and position) with each tap.
- Easily adjust metronome tempo by sliding or keypad.
- Two tap buttons for higher tempos.
- Any exercise can serve as a starting point for editing.
- The editor provides many options to tailor exercises to your needs.
- Designed to need very few taps.
- Includes an editor for ties.
- Unlimited undo.
- Add your exercises to favorites.
- Share these with others.
- Expert mode: a higher default tempo for the exercises plus more accuracy required in tapping.
- Endurance test (continuous reading).
- Speeding-up tests.
- Left- and right-hand independence: tap the beat and rhythm with two tap buttons.
- Note duration test.
- Count 6/8 in two (dotted quarter has the beat).
- Ear training function to help in rhythmic dictation.
- Frequency chart of tap results.
- Progress reports for fixed and random exercises.
- Mail your results: e.g. send your 100% score graphic or progress reports.
- Sounds of the app player, metronome and taps can be chosen from several percussive instruments.
- Optional stereo sound. Hear your taps in the right ear and the metronome/player in the left ear.
- Optional beat-counting voice function.
- Use of the microphone as an alternative to the tap buttons.
- Play the rhythm with hand claps, finger-snaps or an instrument.
- Sensitivity function.
- Support for external microphones.
- Very low latency (instant response).
- Left-handed tapping support.
- Classical as well as flat interface themes.
- Universal app (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch).
- Support for all screen sizes, including iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max.
- 64-bit compatible.
- iOS 12 tested.
The applications Rhythm Sight Reading Trainer was published
in the category Music on 2010-10-12 and
was developed by Rolfs Apps.
The file size is 15.20 MB.
The current version is 9.63 and works well on
9.3 and high ios versions.
- Some textual adjustments in the quick start tutorial.
- Minor bug fixes.
This app is everything I dreamed it could be. It provides instant feedback as to how accurate your rhythms are and the exercises are fantastic. I especially love the two finger tapping option for faster rhythms!
Great app! Builds skills quickly. Logical GUI. Easy to configure custom exercises.
This app is amazing for working on sight reading! I use it to practice and to teach private lessons. It has a very intuitive user interface and is an extremely effective tool for improving your sight reading chops. I highly recommend it for all music teachers and music students.
I am actually learning how to stay on beat (not ahead or behind!) and read rhythm thanks to this app. These were both major goals for me as a relatively new bass player. Thank you to the developer for all the time you’ve clearly put into this app. There are incredibly extensive exercises in every time signature imaginable. I love being able to quickly adjust metronome setting and choose between being tested or just practicing, both of which offer different supporting sounds. Visual feedback is superb. I like that I can stay at any level of challenge for as long as I want. I highly recommend this app!
Good app for rhythm practice....just be sure to read the instructions
This is a great app for learning IF you read the instructions. If you don’t, you will hate it. The developers would benefit from one of those quick 5-screen intros when you open the app. Otherwise I love this tool for teaching me to count music and KNOW if I’m right or not. So hard to do while playing my violin on my own.
This is seriously the BEST rhythm app out there. Can't wait to see what new exercises/rhythms come in the future
I've finally found a replacement for the old Tap Master Rhythm System by David L. Shrader. This is it!
This app is great for learning rhythm and very well-thought-out. It's super simple to jump into an exercise; just open the app and you're ready to go. The exercises are highly varied but the description already tells you that. Another thing you can tell from the description is that it's packed with features and options. I found them all very useful. However, the app works fine without needing to fiddle with the options. Discover them at your own pace (that is, whenever you decide to peruse the menu). The best part of the app is that it's free and ad-free and still getting updates! Definitely try it out!
Very well thought out app! Awesome improver of my reading and timing.
If you want to learn to read rhythm, this is the best I have found. Training mode plays along with you, test mode just gives you a metronome. Get it.
Overall, a great app that works well. One minor issue is that the note duration sound setting doesn't change, it always stays stuck on the bass sound even if another is chosen.
Just does practice and does not stop
This is a great app to help improve music skills and I have had it for a long time. I would recommend this to anyone looking to improve their sight reading of rhythms.
This app has so many features that make it an incredibly valuable practice/learning tool for musicians at all levels. I've had this app for a long time and I'm so impressed with the updates that keep coming. I use it nearly every day for teaching and practicing
Works perfectly. Highly recommended for all musicians.
Really enjoyable, has improved my sight reading a lot.
If I spent as much time using this app as the developer spends improving and refining it I would be a world class drummer by now. As it is my sight reading has improved enormously. This app is just superb. Very low latency (imperceptible to me), very flexible, comprehensive and easy to use. Out of the hundreds of apps I have It is the most regularly updated, improved and expanded app. Great for beginner to advanced. I wish I'd had a tool like this when I was learning music as a kid.
Hey this app is very good I play drums and my drum teacher showed me it and he said I should get it I got it and it has helped me a lot in my drumming I would recommend it to people who like music and are learning an instrument.
Great app! I've tried lots of guitar apps. I've used apps for sight reading, ear training, etc. this is the only app I've ever seen that aids in learning rhythm. And it works!
Excellent app! Really useful for those new to music and those wanting to stay sharp
I teach middle school band and general music - I bought this app specifically for a group of percussionists who had trouble with rhythms. It quickly caught on and I use it in every single one of my groups. The app has literally every skill level you will ever need through college level. I make it a “competition” in my classes to see who gets to the highest level (have to get 100% to move on). Great for random articulation warmups in band when using Smartboard projector. Fantastically engaging for all ages. Best music app I’ve bought so far - honestly.
The notation in this app isn't written according to convention. This makes the exercises more difficult, but not in a good way. Inadvertently it's also teaching incorrect notation practice. If not for this glaring flaw, this would be an excellent app. I heartily recommend The Norton Manual of Music Notation to the app developer.
This is a really good app, the controls settings are a bit hard but the app helped me in my sight reading. I would recommend this for anybody who wants to Lear how to read sheet music.
I was looking for an app to help me improve my musical rhythm on the bass guitar. Since I finger and slap my bass guitar, I can use my finger tips and the side of my thumb to tap the screen and track with the rhythm shown on the screen. The colored dots indicate my accuracy. Exactly what I wanted to know. The practice and test modes are an extra bonus. Plus there are way more patterns and variations than I need right now. Clearly I have a lot to learn and this little app can help me learn it. I'm very excited. :)
It's worked great for me!
Well maintained, feature rich, and most of all helpful!
Nice app, but too bad it cannot played over airplay I need it to teaching in my classroom
I'm a musician and this app is great even if you are a beginner or advanced. It's fun to mess with when I'm looking to improve my skills when I'm not near my instruments. Far more productive than watching tv or playing video games. Get you skills up!
This is an excellently-designed and well-structured app. The interface is simple, clear and user-friendly. The designers have obviously put a lot of thought into how to give as much info as possible on a small screen while retaining legibility, and have come up with a few really creative answers - for example, the app uses colour to make the feedback after the taps easily understandable. There's a great attention to detail in the service of a high-quality learning experience, eg little lights flash to promote accuracy during practice mode. The sight-reading material is brilliantly sequenced, with enough rhythmic diversity to keep you on your toes, but nonetheless a clear focus on one new learning objective at a time, for example triplets or semiquavers. Every element of the program seems to have been really well thought-out in order to maximise the student's learning. The format of iphone works brilliantly as well; sight-reading practice is most effective in small chunks, i find, and the portable handset facilitates that. I'm a qualified music teacher and will be recommending this app to all of my students.