Go Deeper into the Backcountry.
** ZDNet's 24 Best iPhone or iPad apps for 2017
** Featured in Apps for the Great Outdoors
** Featured in Apps for Outdoor Adventures
** Featured in Apps for Hiking and Camping
** Featured in Offline Hiking and Travel
** Featured in Get Outside
** Featured in Apps for Plan Your Summer Vacation
"Topo Maps+ is your best backcountry companion" -- TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog)
Dream Less, Adventure More! Download Topo maps for offline use while deep in the backcountry.
NEVER GET LOST AGAIN
Combine GPS with downloaded topo maps and you can view you current location on a topo map even when you are at that perfect hidden mountain lake that is days from the nearest the cell tower. Use the GPS and compass on your iPhone to see your current location and to align the map with the direction you are looking.
(GPS and compass work without an internet connection.)
APPLE WATCH SUPPORT
View your offline maps and current location just by glancing down at your wrist. You no longer need to pull your iPhone out of your bag to check your position.
Easily download USGS, MapBox, NRCAN/GEOBC, Thunderforest, and Satellite maps so you can use the maps offline while deep in the backcountry.
PLAN YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE
Be prepared for that awesome journey through majestic mountains, down flower ladened valleys, and over craggy passes. Trace routes to find approximate distances and elevation profiles between locations. After tracing a route on a topo map you can view that route on the Satellite map.
* Detailed USGS 7.5 minute topo maps for the USA. USGS topo maps are the ultimate map for hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, and other outdoor activities. They have the details you need while in the backcountry.
* Detailed USGS 7.5 minute topo maps with stunning relief shading for the USA. This gorgeous relief shading makes the USGS topo maps much easier to read and use.
* NRCAN/GEOBC topo maps for southern and western Canada.
* Thunderforest outdoor map has contour lines, trail, and outdoor features for the whole world.
* Glacier Topo map has world wide hiking and biking trails.
* MapBox Terrain is a beautiful elevation and land-use layer for the entire world, visualizing hills and elevation contour lines.
* MapBox Satellite offers highly-detailed imagery for the whole world.
* MapBox Street map is an ideal map for urban use and getting to the trail head.
* New Zealand Topo Maps from LINZ.
* US NOAA Marine Maps
* Partial US National Park Visitor Maps
* Partial US Forest Service Maps
* Download maps for use offline.
* Easily trace routes to find approximate distance between locations.
* Add waypoints to maps.
* Print maps just in case something happens to your iOS device. If you don’t have an airprint printer you can email yourself the map and print it from another computer.
* Trace over a trail on a topo map and then visualize that trail with the MapBox terrain and satellite maps.
* View your current location on the map, even if you are offline.
* Use the compass to orientate the map so you know which direction to go.
* Record your trip to see your distance, elevation profile, and average speed.
* With downloaded maps you can go deeper and farther into the backcountry without being worried about having an internet connection.
SHARE, IMPORT, & EXPORT
* Share routes, trips, and waypoints with your friends.
* Share custom map images
* Export routes, trips, and waypoints to KML & GPX files to use in other apps.
* Import routes and waypoints from KML or GPX files.
* Organize your routes, trips, and waypoints with beautiful tags.
* Share tags with your friends so they can import the data into Topo Maps+ or into another app via a KML or GPX file.
* Sync your routes, trips, subscriptions, and waypoints between all of your iOS devices.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
The applications Topo Maps+ was published
in the category Navigation on 2013-07-30 and
was developed by Glacier Peak Studios LLC.
The file size is 110.44 MB.
The current version is 4.8 and works well on
9.0 and high ios versions.
- You can now use Topo Maps+ on your Mac!
- Bug fixes.
For anyone who bought an overpriced Garmin gps, this app is a savior. First if all the battery consumption is great. Over 7 hours it only used 33% battery in my iphone 6s. The maps are easy to read and trails are well marked. Ap keeps track of elevation gain mph and distance hiked
Hats off to the developer. Multiple map layers, contour lines, hi-Rez maps, excellent direction and elevation tracker, easy waypoint system: what's not to love. Best part is that you can download maps from your device and use offline with gps even if your cell service is out of range. The pricing for the pro features are excellent because they respond well with the year long or just seasonal outdoorsmen.
Very nice to have even for one hike on vacation. Print maps.
A few minor bugs, but overall reliable and essential tool. Download maps in advance and locate your position anywhere your phone's gps works (almost everywhere, even remote places where there is no phone service.) I hike/backpack off trail frequently and have not been lost once in 2 years (several hundred miles) of using this tool. I still bring paper maps and a compass out of habit, but very rarely use them now.
Downloaded this app early this summer and it has gotten us out safely on a few close calls. We have barely touched the surface on its capabilities. Just upgraded for another year and look forward to learning all the little tips and tricks on one of our favorite apps. Just remember to plan and download before you get off line.
I recently did a 10 day off-road camping trip to the North Eastern Sierras where I took my jeep into the back country where I knew I would not have a signal of any kind. I preloaded the topographic maps into my cell phone and was amazed at how precise this mapping tool is. It was able to pinpoint my exact location at all times in areas where I would have otherwise needed to rely on a Garmin GPS with birds-eye imaging. Just make sure to download the maps prior to your trip. Amazing App!!
I have been using this for over a yr now. It is bear easy to use and extremely accurate. Earlier in the summer, I was looking to get on the PCT with a friend. We were going to start where the PCT crossed a dirt road. We weren't sure if it was going to be posted. As we approached the crossing, I opened the app and told my friend who was driving to stop when I saw the trail cross the road on the app. Looked out the window, and their was the trail. It is also quicker an more accurate than my Garmin GPS. GREAT FIND. M
I have a iPad Air and it does not look good at all.
We spend over 75 days a year climbing mostly In places without cell service- i never leave the house without my SPOT, my Sat Phone, and TopoMaps+ downloaded.....
I had questions about the app and developer responded quickly. Pretty impressive.
Seasoned hiker, GPS user, etc and have to say this is one good app. My wife plans to start picking off pieces of the Appalachian Trail so after watching the two instructional videos I sat down and an hour later the 1st hike was planned, maps printed, etc. Simple and intuitive.
Topo Maps + is my go-to portable mapping application!
I love this app. It is clear, accurate, and easy to use. The customer service is great too. I had something I thought would be great on the app and only a month later it was added! Great for planning trips, tracking trips, and filing them. I only wish there was a one time purchase instead of a subscription. But, I still pay it.. Its that great. 👍🏾
I use this almost every weekend on hundreds of peaks in Colorado every year where more often than not there are no trails.
Awesome for 4x4 when cell service is nill
App is crashing at any attempt to download hi-res maps
Crashes when I try and download the high resolution maps
I love this app. It has everything I need for my backcountry adventures, is easy to use, and completely free. I especially love the ruler tool for quickly estimating distances. Big ups to the app creator who has created this gem!
I find that in a lot of life experiences I have had with my family in the last 5 years, quality was not a word frequently used. There are always hidden disclaimers or unknown fees when you go on a family trip. So when I decided that I was going to get my family back into the wilderness and enjoy the beauties of nature, I needed to make sure we had good gear. As a former Army Ranger I know firsthand how important it is to have gear that is functional and stands the test of time. Now, I'm old school, which means that I enjoy land navigation techniques that include nothing but a lensatic compass. I've tought my family this method because you always need a backup in the backcountry. I love useful tech (the key word being "useful"), so when choosing an app for land navigation I came across Topo Maps+. I have an unused iPhone4 that I installed it on which is in a waterproof case and has a solar charger to make sure it never fails. The ability to download regions to view offline itself makes this app 5 Star worthy. I'll end this rating by just saying this. I realized the full worth of Topo Maps+ when I had an issue. It was a simple bug that was crashing the app and I contacted tech support. Not only did the owner contact me personally, he continues to follow up with anyone using his product to ensure 100% satisfaction. That's "Knock your sock's off" customer service as far as I am concerned! Get off your butts and get in the woods! Sincerely, Jason Borseth
My wife and I use this app regularly to plan upcoming hikes on our phones and iPad. It's also a great app for finding hidden gems in your local area ("Hmm, I never noticed that hill before..."). The app is actively developed and the developer seems to really care about how his customers are using the app. Several of my suggestions later became features. If you're looking for a great topo maps app, this is it.