Overcast: Podcast Player App Description & Overview
A powerful yet simple audio podcast player, with features such as Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smarter Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- 3D Touch support
- Rich notifications
- Apple Watch app
- CarPlay support
Overcast is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for the Season Pass is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
Improved standalone Watch playback:
- Volume control with Digital Crown
- Speaker output if no headphones are connected
- More reliable in the background (Thanks, Steve Troughton-Smith!)
The Watch app also now has Previous/Next Episode by 3D Touch, and the Phone side can now browse all podcasts and playlists.
The main app also gets bug fixes and a fun new toy: two-finger up/down swipes to quickly toggle the dark theme, like a light switch, just like in Tweetbot. (Thanks, Paul Haddad!)
Do you like Overcast: Podcast Player apps? Please share!
Overcast: Podcast Player App Tips & Tricks
Overcast: Podcast Player Screenshots
Overcast: Podcast Player Video
Overcast: Podcast Player Reviews
Great alternative to apples app🙏🏽
This app had many features but the one that got me was turning on and off continuous play which isn't available in the Apple app. (Transferring my show was my initial draw back but turned out great)
These guys/and or galls/ are killing it with this app!
Was an amazing app from 1st version, and every iteration since is just interest to a sweet lifestyle changing app. Keep it up guys! I'd even pay for a higher tier of membership
Still the Best
Overcast = God Tier
Apple Podcast Player = Poo Tier
I appreciate the consistent updates!
Best Podcast App
I have been using Overcast for the past 6 months extensively. There is no other podcast app that is this good!!! I am now upgrading to premium!!
Best podcast app
By David Levine
This app is thoughtfully designed and works great. Smart speed is an awesome feature that saves time while listening to a podcast by speeding up silent portions. I really like being able to rearrange episodes in a playlist on the fly without impacting the overall sorting as new episodes are released.
The CarPlay interface is great. It allows you to quickly access your playlists or listing of podcasts.
Overcast 3 makes an already great app even better.
Finally! Play Podcasts from Watch
Overcast had been my player of choice for over a year. Love everything about the iPhone app. Super happy to be able to listen idirectly from my watch.
A few notes:
-It seems to take a long time to transfer pods from phone to watch, of course MacBreak Weekly, ATP, etc. are pretty long.
-Had one instance where it said transferring for over 30 minutes, never finished so I cancelled. Wondering if parts of that pod are now filling up my watch storage.
-Have not figured out how to change volume with Bluetooth headphones when listening on watch. Not sure if this a watch or Apple limitation. Volume is fairly soft, was hard to hear when running on windy day.
-Time synced perfectly back to phone app after listening to part off a pod.
Looking forward to future updates so I can give 6 stars.
Great app for a podcast addict
Easy and intuitive podcast management. Speed control makes your consumption more efficient. Highly recommended.
Get Overcast it's great, always great.
Marco Arment cares a great deal for his customers and their podcasting needs. My needs keep growing and the app is always ready.
Great Apple Watch support!!!!
Listening to podcasts as I run on my Apple Watch enough said!
Apple Watch playback does not work
Was excited when Overcast announced that we can now transfer podcasts to the Apple Watch. But the feature does not work for me and a lot of other users. For some reason, it thinks my Beats Bluetooth headphones aren't connected to the watch when they are (and able to play music stored on the watch, for example). Please fix this! This feature is the main reason I'd use this app. Hence the low star rating. Not suggesting it is bad for other purposes.
Does not work on watch!
I tried to use this with my wireless headphones with the W1 chip and the app on the watch will not connect so I cant do anything without my phone.
Great, except: Watch syncing issues
I've been having a few issues with watch syncing, which is the killer feature for me.
1. With my AirPods, the watch app usually says "you must connect Bluetooth headphones" even when they are connected.
2. Synced podcasts are deleted randomly sometimes (when I can get them to sync).
3. At one point I somehow played two podcasts at once the watch, so the audio was overlapping.
4. I'm now unable to transfer any podcasts, and am getting the error message: "WatchConnectivity session cannot access the file"