Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Drag and Drop to move files, text, photos, GIFs, web pages, and more from other apps into Notability with Multitasking.
• Secure and lock your notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH WITH BEAUTIFUL INK
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect circles and straight lines.
• Ink is fine-tuned for 1st and 2nd generation Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 14 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes with the Note Switcher.
• Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, and more between notes.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Save time with keyboard shortcuts.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more, or share note content to other apps with Drag and Drop.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
The applications Notability was published
in the category Productivity on 2010-04-01 and
was developed by Ginger Labs.
The file size is 280.68 MB.
The current version is 8.4.5 and works well on
10.0 and high ios versions.
*** Bug fixes in 8.4.5 ***
• Fixed an issue with editing notes in locked subjects
• Miscellaneous minor bug fixes and improvements
*** What’s new in 8.4 ***
• Sneak peek of what we’ve been working on - Notability introduces perfect circles! Like our straight line feature, draw a circle and hold for it to be auto-corrected. More to come in 2019!
• Improved pinch to zoom, allowing you to zoom out to see multiple pages at once or zoom in further for detailed work.
• Added more keyboard shortcuts, including to create a new note, go back to the Library, and easily navigate within a note.
• The word count of a note is now available in the information popover
I have been trying to get in contact with notability for weeks now. Email after email with no response and no contact number online. I use notability to take notes b/c I am a medical student. Recently the notes on my pdf files have just vanished. Completely blank, every file I open all the words are gone. At this point, I don’t even know what to do.
I can no longer export pdf to onenote. It just creates a link to the pdf instead of actually exporting it to onenote. Since my computer is windows I can’t get notability on it. This app was phenomenal up until either notability or onenote decided to make it pointless to own.
This app is good at rendering handwriting and I really like the color schemes (yellow on black, red on black). However, everything else is a disappointment: - not being able to test the product before purchase is a massive nuisance from the outset - dividers and subjects are neither intuitive nor sufficient for elaborate organization. For example, I cannot archive notes that I do not need on a regular basis. I can delete notes or keep them in my face. I cannot use the same name for a subject under two dividers. For example, I cannot have a 'General' subject under two different divisions. So I cannot have a catch-all for different teams or topics. Way too simplistic. - the reason I'm now writing this negative review and switching to a different note system is because ALL MY SUBJECTS AND DIVIDERS DISAPPEARED for no reason!!!! I invested a lot of effort trying to organize my written notes and now I need to do it all over again in a different system. For all the things people find annoying about Microsoft, my stuff never disappears randomly. Updated to 1 star since I can't even export it backup my files to PDF anymore. Took me forever to get all my content out! Massive waste of time and money!
3 years ago this was a good app that did what I needed it to do. Today I decided to try it again but the draw tool keeps scrolling instead of drawing and adding text boxes on top of drawings isn’t possible anymore and it’s very annoying.
I love this app fo my classes. I can download the class powerpoint and write directly on them with speed and ease. The organization could be improved but it seems as if they are always coming out with updates and new content!
Everything Apple Notes are not. I’d love to see the ability to insert split panes on the fly. The filing of notes could be just a little cleaner. A few drawing primitives (ovals & rectangles).
These would be next level: Enable HORIZONTAL split screen of the multi note view. Make the partition thinner also. Make a tool puck with all tools that I can move and place anywhere.
It’s actually a great app but it needs an AppleWatch app to link to. Would make life easier for a shopping list use.
This was my go to note taking app for class. It started duplicating notes and sometimes would erase the content. I reached out for assistance and received very little. I’ve finally had it with this program today. I started a new subject, downloaded my lectures and had taken a few notes, only for it to have completely disappeared when I reopened the app to do homework. Back to the drawing board for another. 😣😥
This app is great for organising notes and writing on them. BUT IT FREEZES 24/7 on the new iPad Pro and this needs to be fixed. The only reason I have not deleted it, is because my school forces me to use it. It is completely annoying and needs to be updated. No. It is not a problem with my iPad as it doesn’t freeze while on any other app. Also there is a serious lack of customisation. Not worth $10 more like 7 or 5.
Music, books, other apps. No get notability it is a very good get notability please it’s worth the price
Notability used to be good, it really did. But ever since the last update I cannot access my files as they are perpetually “downloading”. Mind you, this is when the university semester has just started, so its a total extra stressor. I cannot recommend notability if you need to rely on needing To access Your notes. This is a real shame.
Love this app but folders in folders support would be great.
It's a great app but the functionally has not been updated in a long while. Writing and zooming to draw is the best on any note taking app, but the paper options have not been upgraded in a long while and desperately need more options, like, various dots, isometric options. Developers have been treading water. I’ve moved onto Noteshelf 2.
This app is really helpful and accessible. But it could be improved in some ways. 1. It will be good if it can provide some services such as through double tap or hold on, it could look up the meaning of selected word in another language. Then add the meaning by another tap. 2. It will be good if it could provide service like recognize texts from picture or PDF then output as words. Thanks a lot for providing this wonderful experience!
I have both notability and GoodNotes and can say this app is by far better and more user friendly. I love using it and taking notes on it HOWEVER, when i tried to name two subjects as “week 1” for different dividers it didn’t allow me which was frustrating. I like organising my each subjects by their time and week but this doesn’t let me do that and i have to put everything together and probably spend more time later to find them! Please, fix this issue or at least add the option to have files with similar names. Thanks
This is the second favourable review I have written for this app. I have owned it for quite a while now, a year perhaps, and it still impresses me. I am involved in theatre, Primary Ethics teaching, literature clubs and every thing I take on it accommodates. I was using it just now and was so happy with it I had to tell someone. I have been using computers a great deal for 30 years in work and recreation and I find this software the most flexible and useful I have ever come across in my sphere.
I saw a couple of YouTube videos which promoted Notability, with the range of backgrounds, conversion of text and wanted to try Notability. This product appears to simply be a Notepad similar to apple notes and for $14.99 is not warranted. It’ll be great if developers can provide a trial period.
Just need table support
Enjoying it so far, been testing various things out for the past month before I use it this semester at uni. Overall the standard of the app is really high and I think it’s well worth the money if you’re remotely serious about electronic notes. Some things I’d love to see are: A darker line that separates pages, or better yet a small gap as well. I suspect no gap was a conscious decision by the developer/s for continuity (fantastic for maths), but it’s too easy to miss when a page starts and ends, and I’d like my notes to be legible as PDF’s in future, so making the page end line darker would be great. Also the available size of the lines for writing and graph paper are a bit of an awkward size for me. I write on my 12.9” iPad mostly in portrait mode, and I can’t write on the small line size as it’s too small, and the medium size does work, but it’s so spaced apart that I’m unable to actually fit much onto a page. 2/3 of what I write on a regular paper notebook at best. Everyone will have different needs here due to different iPad sizes and writing in portrait vs landscape, but a few more line sizes would be really appreciated. Keep up the great work guys :)
Each time I open the app it always crashes. And when it restarts, I don’t see all my notes. Everything reads zero. Then I have to wait and pray for it to download everything again from iCloud. It is really annoying. Now I am regretting investing all my time on this app. Pls fix.
This app is continually crashing and deleting all my work. Fix this.
First, I would like to have different types of erasers, and not just stroke. For example, an eraser that will erase based in size chosen. Second, I would like to insert shapes in an easier way because the current feature do not merge good with the background and it is time consuming. Third, I would like to be able to access all the pages at once (zoommed out feature) where all the pages will be shown in a little box, so this way it will be faster to access on large documents (100 pages or more). Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work!
Why the developer dont pay attention to this very important of the highlighting feature? When you highlight something the subject becomes deem. Please improve highlighting feature. Its just horrible.
I really like this app. But the one thing that is frustrating is that there is no actual template in the app for a normal looking real life notebook paper. You are forced to go to their website and download it and import, which is a hassle. If you like the aesthetic of a real notebook don’t go with this app. If not then the app is great!
Great except that. Deleting pages one by one is ridiculous and inefficient. If you accidentally upload a large file into your note and don’t notice until after you’ve marked up another section, be prepared to waste a few hours trying to fix it. Notability team- I expected better from a paid app.
1. Let us jump to a certain page in the notes by typing in the number. I have a professor who just updates his slides as he goes, and it’s annoying to have to scroll to page 200. A jump would make it easier. 2. Better support. Sometimes my professors use arrow symbols in their PowerPoints (which is a type of bullet list symbol) that I send to notability, and the app replaces them with 4s. It needs to be updated so it doesn’t change that much in PowerPoints that were sent to it. Also, I have professors who use code and images in their slides and notability has issues with moving them. It moves the image/code all over the page and then either the image is not there, or it’s covered up by the words on the slide. The app needs to have better support for PowerPoints and such so it doesn’t change the slides too much. Otherwise it’s very nice
This is a terrible app I can’t type on it or export things. Don’t purchase this.
I don't understand why sometimes when I open an old document the highlights turn into narrow lines across the words...Can someone tell me why??
Very useful app, best friend of iPad Pro, making iPad productive for study. I particularly like changing the color of pdf readings from sheer white to yellow.
I catch myself trying to undo a lot when writing or drawing. The app would be the most amazing thing if it added one very simple feature - *two finger tap undo* like procreate. They shared their source code for this btw so dropping it in would be easy and would make it the best noting app ever. Also, would be great if it could support Polish
Currently using the iPad 2018 with Apple Pencil, note taking with pencil is not as smooth as I would like when moving at certain speeds and angles, if you’re a perfectionist try Evernote sketch feature or Notes with pencil instead of pen
Love the app. Worth the purchase. Really needs to include music manuscript though. That would make it perfect.
Have started using this for taking notes and annotating pdfs in University. Fantastic app, which makes note taking a dream. Especially like all the support for cloud storage services, as well as iCloud backup and sync.
I’m using the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 inch with Apple Pencil and every time I rest my palm on the screen it detects it even with palm rejection on and it’s not my iPad I tried good notes and it was perfect. Not worth the 11 euro
Love this app, it’s my primary note taking app for college. Would love if they added the files app to the options for auto backup, and maybe added some more page design options
Great app. Really hoping they add music manuscript pages instead of having to Import them. Bar that worth the purchase.
Really great app, tried a few of the top notebook apps. While it doesn't have the most refined set of options or pen configurations when compared to apps like Notes Plus, it has remained my go to option through 4 years of college for two reasons. It's reliable, never lost any notes and syncing has never been a problem. The second is the biggest selling point for me, and that is the record option, which syncs the recorded sound to your text or sketch input. This is invaluable for lectures as it allows you to listen to the exact point corresponding to the text input. The app could still do with with a few extra pen configurations option and sketch shape recognition, like one note and Notes Plus would be great additions, but overall it's a great app and worth the money.
Its simple and easy to use and the palm rejection is just phenomenal, better than the app that came with my stylus can do.